What is SOLUTE?
Sigma Defense Systems is a leading technology company serving the Department of Defense (DoD), providing tactical communications systems and services for digital modernization since 2006. Through our acquisitions of SOLUTE in January 2022 and Sub U Systems in May 2022, we have expanded our software and communications hardware solutions to better support JADC2, C5ISR, SATCOM, and DEVSECOPS for customers in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Space Force. Through a combination of hardware, software, and industry expertise, we provide a complete portfolio of solutions and services that accelerates information collection and sharing for faster decision making and better mission outcomes.
We are a company of innovative professionals thriving in a highly motivating work environment that fosters creativity and independent thinking. If you are a motivated individual with a desire to support our service men and women, now is a great time to join Sigma Defense!
SOLUTE Inc. is a cutting-edge engineering firm focused on bringing modern technologies and approaches to mission critical systems in the U.S. Department of Defense. SOLUTE has taken a position as a thought leading organization for the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Department of Defense. Our efforts have defined the DevOps approach for the U.S. Navy and our projects will determine the next 10 years of software development and continuous delivery for satellite systems, submarines, mission planning and signals intelligence applications.
What is a DevOps Engineer at SOLUTE?
DevOps engineers at SOLUTE are effective problem solvers that focus on automating manual processes and improving the overall software development cycle. We develop against a large variety of systems depending on our Customers’ requirements and enable them for future success through well-built CI/CD pipelines. Since our focus is on enablement and transition to our customer environments, we do not have after hours or on call SRE support. Our DevOps engineers come from a variety of backgrounds including systems engineering, software engineering, and system administration.
Why would you want to work at SOLUTE?
SOLUTE seeks out opportunities that allow our engineers to work with modern and innovative technologies on impactful projects. Our solutions are built for use in mission critical systems and are often subject to interesting and challenging constraints. For example, we often build solutions that must operate effectively in offline or difficult to reach environments while maintaining reproducibility, maintainability, and security.
What are some examples of the work?
SOLUTE has been brought into support, guide, and develop all aspects of digital transformation to a DevSecOps culture and modernize tactical platforms. This includes training, CI/CD pipeline development, platform architecture design and development as well as mission application capability development. We are leveraging modern technologies such as containerization, distributed proxying, and dynamic service discovery to bring the very best technology to our nation’s defenses. We aim to take existing tactical systems and migrate them to a modern distributed architecture.
What are some key technologies you use?
The exact technical stack varies from solution to solution, but there are a few technologies we often reach for when exploring a new problem:
- Linux is the most common development and deployment platform we encounter
- Terraform is our go-to infrastructure automation tool
- Ansible is the most common configuration management tool you will see
- Git is the primary source control system we use for our projects
- OpenShift/Kubernetes are our usual choices for container management
What are the key requirements?
- You must be able to obtain a DoD Security Clearance (Secret)
- Comfortable in a Linux development environment
- Experience with a configuration management tool such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Experience with an Infrastructure-as-Code tool such as Terraform or CloudFormation
What will differentiate my application?
- RedHat Certification
- Amazon Web Services Certification
- Experience with any tools in our typical stack such as OpenShift / Kubernetes, Jenkins, Hashicorp tools (Terraform, Packer, Nomad, Consul, Vault), Ansible, etc.
- Experience working with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google, etc.)
- History of contributions to Open Source projects within the DevSecOps space (Kubernetes, Istio, Envoy, etc.)
- Hands-on experience as a Software Engineer
- B.S. or M.S. Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related field.
- An active DoD Security Clearance
- Experience working on Military systems
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and A&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 401(k) Plan with company matching contributions
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and 10 paid Holidays
- Educational Assistance
- Highly Competitive Salary
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic.
Sigma Defense [SOLUTE, SUB U Systems]